Monday, November 26, 2007

The Gulmohar Tree

Mim´s favorite tree is a pine, but she lists a lot of different trees she liked at the place she used to live before. And suddenly all these trees popped up in my mind which I always looked at in awe. So beside the Weeping Willow you can count the Gulmohar tree (Flamboyant tree), Orange trees, Magnolia Trees, and Neem to my list of favorite trees. Except for the Orange tree, I remember all of them as a common sight in India.
The Gulmohar Tree - Flamboyant

The last 5 years of our stay in India we lived in a very dry place along the border of the Thar desert. Except during the short Monsoon the landscape used to be brown and dry. So imagine driving hours along the road, barren earth, scarce vegetation, scorching heat... and suddenly this bright tree flames up right in front of you. It´s amazing!


5 comments:

Mim said...

Oh my, this is beautiful. Isn't it wonderful the way one task leads to another thought, and then another. I'm loving this project.

caseytoussaint said...

What amazing trees - and a beautiful illustration.

Kerstin Klein said...

I just can´t stop drawing trees now. ;) Maybe I´m going to draw more of my favorite trees into the journal.

But the flaming red of these trees are incredible. Unfortunately I didn´t find a pic of these trees in dry surrounding where they seem to burst out in red even more.

Devika Jyothi said...

Hi,

I loved this picture and

I reached here searching a picture of Gulmohar as illustration for my verse..

I have used this photo with a copyright attribution and link to your blog. Hope its okay.

My blog :http://devika-jyothi.blogspot.com/

Please let me know if you want me to remove it.

wishes,
devika

Jayshree said...

Hi..
I reached here searching for Gulmohar Pictures... and the pictures you have posted are amazing...

I have used them on my blog and given a link to this page. Please let me know if its ok, or if you would want me to remove the picture.