Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Be With Me by Eric Khoo

"Be with me, my beloved love. So my smile may never fade."


Yesterday night I saw Eric Khoo's latest feature film in a tiny, tiny movie theater around the corner (in the basement). (Click on the images to see a larger version. I specially like the one of the old guy.)


The 3 stories in “Be With Me” are intertwined around the themes of love, hope and destiny. The characters lead separate lives but all desire to be with their loved one. The autobiographical life of Theresa Chan, who became blind and deaf, inspired the movie.

An elderly shopkeeper living the twilight of his years in loneliness. A timid security guard pining for unattainable love. A teenager experiencing love, and love lost.
The initial passionate stage that lovers experience with each other, the insecurities that creep in, the fear of losing the other. As fast as love is established through a flurry of SMS messages and online chat sessions, as fast as love is lost through the cessation of communication.

Each character is faced with communication challenges, and each is without physical handicap. Except for Theresa Chan. "Be With Me" is essentially a silent film, and the use of subtitles to narrate the story of Theresa brings close to home an example of how silent and dark Theresa's physical world is. Still that doesn't stop the strong lady's indomitable will to live life to the fullest, and to help others along the way.

The movie is a wonderful journey of life, love, loss and inspiration to us.

Genre: Drama
Director: Eric Khoo
Starring: Theresa Chan, Ezann Lee, Seet Keng Yew, Chiew Sung Ching, Samantha Tan, Lynn Poh
Rating: M-18 (Mature Content)

2 comments:

Paul Martin said...

I counted this film as one of my favourites at the Melbourne International Film Festival last year and found it very moving. I also liked the way it merged fact and fiction, which confused me at first, and blew me away by the end. Interestingly, it's a film that seems to have divided those who saw it.

Kerstin Klein said...

I really liked the movie. Actually it didn´t confuse me, because I didn´t know that fact and fiction were merged until the end of the movie.
A few of the audience laughed throughout the movie, which I couldn´t really understand. Of course it somehow sounded funny when Theresa Chan was talking, but still the movie wasn´t a comedy. But I did enjoy it a lot.