Friday, February 5, 2010

The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife

This picture is one of the first disturbing pieces of art I put my eyes on.
Hoksai´s The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife
"The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife" is an erotic woodcut made by the Japanese artist Katsushika Hokusai around 1820 . It is considered the first instance of tentacle eroticism and shows a woman entwined sexually with a pair of octopuses, the smaller of which kisses her while the larger one performs cunnilingus. While reading facts about the image and the artist, I found out that the significance of the absence of men in fishermen's villages is testified not only in this picture: The first dildos were found in fishermen's villages.

I can´t remember when I first saw the picture, but I must have been around 13 or 14 years old. I completely forgot about it, but recently discovered my love for Japanese wood cuts and saw this print again.
I searched the net for more information about the art work and I can tell you, the links I found while searching for "Fisherman's Wife" and "Octopus" were way more disturbing than this image. In fact, it seems harmless now. ;)

The original:

7 comments:

Mim said...

You always amaze me. Really, you do.

Kerstin Klein said...

Why? Because of the theme?

If it is the first time you saw the drawing, I think I can relate pretty well to what you must feeling right now.

Inferno said...

The whole octo-erotisism and tenticle thing has always seemed creepy to me.

Mim said...

yes, it is the first time I saw that drawing and heard about the fisherman's wives. Can you imagine that village and how the woman must have bonded in more ways than one?

You amaze me because you are so inquisitive, and imaginative! You have always opened my eyes to something new and I truly thank you for that

SUSANNE VAN CLEAVE said...

Tentacle eroticism is really so simple and tame in the grand scheme. Why wouldn't a woman find the thought of eight sucking arms arousing? Having seen a great deal of tentacle-sex art, ancient through modern, I rarely find anything disturbing -- certainly not these more subtle images. Just MHO, FWIW.

Kerstin Klein said...

@Inferno: Yeah, it is.

@Mim: "Can you imagine that village and how the woman must have bonded in more ways than one?"
:) I hadn´t thought of that before. Well, you are just as imaginative. Imagine what we could find out together. You think of one part and I have the other and together we will have the full thing! ;)

@LP: "Why wouldn't a woman find the thought of eight sucking arms arousing?" Well, it is not the thought of 8 sucking arms. I think it is more the thought of a slimey creature sucking. (though I believe 8 sucking arms would be overwhelming too for me. *lol) Anyway, as I said before, this picture is indeed harmless and tame compared to the videos I found while searching information about this print. I can tell you... the tentacle thing isn´t disturbing anymore after seeing those movies. :) BTW: What is the meaning of FWIW?

Kerstin Klein said...

@LP: Tentacle eroticism may be simple and tame in the grand scheme, but IMO Octopus sex really isn´t. (And forget about the tentacles.)